Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Proving to be a hard decision

Deciding whether to homeschool this little sweetheart

is proving to be a lot harder than I would have imagined. The only thing I do know for sure is that if I indeed decide to homeschool Braden, it will begin in first grade. At this point, I am just concerned about what is best for Braden and our family. I wonder if I can give him socially what he needs, but then I question if he really needs all of the social experiences you receive at school. Rich even commented to me that he could think of some social situations he experienced in school that he could have done without. I also question what is holding me back, is it the social stigma that surrounds homeschooling? Is it my concern that some people are under the false impression that homeschooling your child means keeping them in a bubble? I wonder if everyone will understand that keeping Braden at home would be all about giving him the best education possible and not because I am trying to shelter him from the world? I have read the articles, searched the Internet, and mulled continuously over this difficult decision, and I have received a lot of wonderful words of encouragement, wisdom, and advice from friends and family; thank you girls! I have also begun to study the various curriculum available to homeschooling families, and I have talked to Braden about the possibility of staying with me for school; he is all for it by the way, but I wonder if he truly understands. The idea that I should homeschool continues to nag at me, and has been since Braden began kindergarten this year. The idea of getting to be Braden's teacher is an exciting thought for me, and so is the possibility of getting to teach again! I can't even begin to explain how excited I got looking at all the education websites yesterday: studying various state standards, reviewing curriculum, and looking at lesson plan ideas; teaching and learning are things I always have been passionate about, and I would love to share that passion with Braden and all of my children! I think I already know what is best, but I want to pray about everything; I want Heavenly Father to confirm to me what is best for Braden. I know if I make the commitment to homeschool, I need to go into it with total confidence and assurance that it is what is best!

What is that saying,

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

If I do this, I want to do it with all of my heart and soul and not look back!

2 comments:

Christina said...

Now THAT'S a gung-ho and excited mama! "Research," ponder, and pray, and what can go wrong???

Do let us know if what happens if/when you talk to his teacher!!!

I am LoW said...

For one, socially- how many recesses does he even get? (my girls some days get none) Is he allowed to talk at lunch? (mine can't when the music is on, which seems to be 99% of the time)What I am thinking is- they don't get much at school (in the early grades) anyways.

For two- when you decide to, OWN IT. There are lots of opinions and they are often uneducation anyways. (hehe, uneducated.... and we are talking about educating, get it?) :-)

The Cutie Patooties