Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Aha Moment Mingled with a dose of Ranting and Raving

Okay, I should be working on an unfinished Christmas present, but I just had to write this first; sometimes when I have something on my mind I have to write it down, and then I can move on. First I pose this question, how do you feel when someone is ugly or talks nastily to your child? How would you feel if the children did this when they were in your house? How would you feel if one of these children was at least twice, three times their age? How would you feel if they showed little regard for your house and your belongings as well as your children's belongings? I personally felt like knocking their blocks off, taking care of business, and tying them from the rafters (if I had rafters). When I saw the children being mean to my precious children, the mother lioness in me came out! Just seeing Braden crying made me want to pounce! When their mother tried to reprimand them and let them know that they were in their home (referring to Braden, Brooke, and Emma), one of the children replied (words dripping in snot), "It's not their home, it's there mom's and dad's house!" What?!!!!!? I of course explained to my cuties, after the brats had left, that it was their house. We talked about how it was our house, and that we took care of the house as a family. The more aggravated I got, the more I thought about how my children had been treated and talked to, and then I asked myself the questions, 'Do you ever talk sharply to your children?' Yes. 'Do you ever say things that are not always kind out of frustration?' Yes. 'Do you ever lose your patience with your children?' Yes. 'What would you do if someone talked to them the way you do sometimes when you are at the peek of frustration and exhaustion?' I would want to take them out!

Aha!!!!!!!!
I need to make sure I treat my children how I want and expect others to treat them, with respect and consideration. I guess I too learned a lesson; no matter how frustrated or tired I get, I should always treat and speak to my children as Jesus would. Of course mothers get overtired and at their wits end (me not being an exception), but in the future, I will do better at instituting time outs for myself.

Having said that, I must rant though just a tad more. Why are some people taught to respect others' things? Why are some people taught to show respect when they enter another's home? On the other end of the spectrum, why are some people not taught any manners? Why do some people barge into someone's home as if it is an honor to have them in your presence? I think the world would be a better place if more people were schooled in the fine art of manners and civility! Until it happens, I am thinking of putting a sign on my door that says:
LEAVE your BAD manners at the door, or DON'T come in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you Carrie. You are the best I love this post its my favorite of the year!! I call it the Mama Bear syndrome. And since we've moved out here its crazy cause I swear people don't teach there kids to respect other children. Dotty my tiny little 18 month old at church last week was thrown to the and sat on then the little lovey boy started knocking her head into the ground over and over!! Can you believe that?? And this was moms response..."oh sweetie you just can't do that she is a little girl" AAAAHHHHHHH. Love ya!!

The Cutie Patooties