As a mother, sometimes you just have those weeks that are exhausting, draining, and character building; this past week was one of those weeks for me. Rich has been gone to Atlanta all week (not to mention the week before last as well), so I have had to wear all of the hats this week: mother, father, teacher, spiritual guru (okay maybe guru is a tad strong), disciplinarian, chef, nurse, counselor, referee, chauffeur, therapist, hygienist, nutritionist, personal shopper; if it has to do with keeping a family running, I have done it, and this week I have had to do it 24/7. Contemplating some of the daunting tasks I had to accomplish this week and as a mother in general, it made me start thinking that we as mothers deserve to have a Mommy Oscar Night; we as mothers act in so many roles every day, why shouldn't we receive recognition?!!!!
I can just picture it now, I am decked out in my maternity finest, complete with just a slight smudge on my shoulder from one of Emma's hugs (always done with some kind of remnant of stickiness or food on her mouth); I pull up in my silver Toyota Sienna, get out, and saunter down the red carpet (which the event planners have sprinkled with Cheerios to help us feel more at home), and I am of course toting one of my bags from the diaper collection line (packed to the hilt to combat any situation). Stopping for pictures, I make sure to poke my stomach way out; maybe you get an Oscar just for going out in public looking this pregnant! Finally inside, I am presented with my goodie bag complete with all the things a mother could possibly dream about (or at least this mother): a gift certificate for a day of beauty at a spa (to be used after having the baby of course), a wide angle lens for my other baby (that would be my Canon Rebel XTi I am referring to, that I waited FOREVER for), Adobe Photoshop CS4, a video camera with all the bells and whistles to insure no precious moment will be missed, a certificate entitling me to a year of maid service, and a Visa gift card for a shopping spree after all the baby weight is gone (and it will be leaving). In awe of all the royal treatment, I quickly find my seat and anxiously await for the award ceremony to begin.
And now for the awards:
The crowd goes wild as I go to accept my first Oscar of the evening.
"Thank you, thank you! I would like to thank all those that said prayers in my behalf this week, and I would like to thank Heavenly Father for the strength he gave me."
For listening to countless whining, tattling, and tantrums and not running screaming mad from her home, or hurling herself out of a moving vehicle, the Oscar goes to ......
"Thank you again! I have been asked many times how I do what I do, and I always say, "I just do it, I have no choice." Truth be told, I also say A LOT of prayers!"
For persevering and making her children continue to do chores, despite the complaints, heavy sighs, and looks of disgust the award goes to...
(once again)
Carrie Maseda
I again saunter up to the stage (maybe more of a waddle this time) and accept my award.
"Thank you everyone for a wonderful evening, and thank you for this award. It means so much to me to be recognized for all of my efforts and hard work."
Now, I ask you ladies, who wouldn't love to have a night like that?!












3 comments:
I'd nominate you for sure! This sounds like my kind of awards night...esp. if I get a goody bag.
Thanks Heidi; I sooooooooo wish an awards night like this really exsisted!
Carrie, this is great! I love the way you write.
Post a Comment