Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Mother of Invention



Have you ever heard the phrase "Necessity is the mother of invention." With motherhood, that is so true; often as a mother you have to be creative, quick on your toes, and flexible. Well, yesterday that phrase rang true in our house, which it often does. I needed Braden and Brooke to do some jobs, but after hearing the beginning of a whine, I knew I didn't have the strength to deal with that and neither did my ears. I absolutely loathe, detest, and abhor whining! So, I began to brainstorm, 'How can I get the kids to clean up without listening to all that whining?' From this brainstorming, the clean up game was born. I sat down and made a list of all the things I needed the cuties to do: make beds, pick up their trash, straighten the playroom, clean toilets, clean sinks, clean their rooms, pick up toys, etc.; next I made a list of fun things (this part I wouldn't let them see, so it was a surprise): play Hullabaloo, do the hokey pokey, dance to Pop goes the Weasel, read books, watch Clifford, etc. . After making the list, I cut the list into strips, folded them up, and Braden and Brooke put them in plastic eggs, which we then put in a big basket. To play the game Braden and Brooke took turns choosing eggs, one of them selected the egg and the other opened it; once the task was revealed, they followed through whether it was work or fun. It was great, I didn't have to beg and plead, and they had fun too! You know what they say about no work and no play?! Yesterday was a perfect balance of work and play, and it got the job done!


Even Emma got in on the act.

(gotta love the leotard, always doing her own thing)

3 comments:

Karmen said...

I can't believe you get your kids to clean the toilet! That's awesome! What a good idea to get them excited about doing work. You're such a creative mom!

small town Hood said...

I tried this last night with my kids and they thought it was the best thing in the world. They cleaned up and were ready for bed in record time. Thanks for the idea.

Carrie Maseda said...

Karmen,
Emma luckily is still in the stage where cleaning is fun; she thinks she is hot stuff getting to help out. I think the game was the motivation for the oldest two. :)

Heather,
You're welcome; I'm thrilled the idea worked for you!

The Cutie Patooties