Saturday, May 30, 2009

Don't you just hate it when...

...your husband is right!!!!!!!!!

I know I do, but I have to admit it; Rich was right! There, I said it; he will be so happy! Today, amidst my protests, we went to the temple (the temple that is a little over two hours away). I kept thinking: How in the world are we going to do this? How can we make this happen? Are we going to have to go in separately? I don't want to sit out with the kids. Part of the experience for me is being in the temple with Rich. Can Colton even make it that long without nursing? Rich, knowing that I would thank him afterwards pushed a little, and I relented; he called it being persuasive, but it was sooooooo not persuasion, more like insistence (just saying). So this morning, we all got up, got ready, and headed out at about 6:30 this morning. We loaded the car down with snacks, drinks, and every quiet toy imaginable. What was our plan? Mama agreed to meet us and watch the cuties for us; nothing quite goes as planned though. We were supposed to meet Mama at 9:30, but due to a traffic stopping accident, we didn't arrive until 10:20. Rich though always has a back-up plan, so he called the temple and voilĂ , things were back on course; we had to be at the temple by a little before 12 and not 10, which gave us time to meet Mama, get a bite to eat, and get the cuties settled. Details aside, let me just say that it was an AMAZING experience! I explained it to Rich this way, "It was like someone in the desert receiving water." With four cuties, prayers, scripture study, well basically, almost everything gets interrupted, so my spirit was crying out for something like today. As I walked into the temple, I felt as if Jesus was wrapping his arms around me in a warm and loving embrace; I am at a loss of words to describe the intensity of my feelings, or the incredible love I felt from both Heavenly Father and Jesus in those moments. The love of those I had come to do work for was almost palpable, as I envisioned my Great Grandmother's eyes, so like my own, waiting in anxious anticipation for her work to be done. I cried at the thought of her wrapping her arms around me and thanking me for helping her do something she was unable to do for herself. I not only did work for others, but I did a great work for myself today; as I walked within the walls of the temple, and as I listened to the words spoken, my spiritual hunger was fed, and my thirst was quenched. There is nothing quite like being within the sacred walls of the temple.

Often I get asked what the temple is, and what we do inside; I know a lot of my dear family, many of whom are not members of the church, are especially curious. I hope this video helps.


3 comments:

Anita said...

Thank you for sharing this. I remember one semester in school for Ben when things were so, so busy and time flew by and before we knew it almost six months had passed and we hadnt been to the temple. (Sad, I know - we live 30 minutes away!) When we finally went and I walked in, I felt like I had come home. There's just nothing in the world that can compare to the temple, is there?

Melinda said...

That's awesome. We really need to go too. Sadly our goal is to attend at least once a year and we think we're doing great if we go twice. The last time we went was in October. We should plan to go together sometime. I'm assuming you still go to Columbia?

I also admire your willingness to admit your husband is right.

Wendy said...

I totally take the temple for granted. We have 6 withing a half hour from my house, and somehow, it's still a challenge to make time.

The Cutie Patooties