Well, today is Monday, which means another Family Home Evening. Tonight I taught the lesson, which was on Love; it was short and sweet, perfect for the five and under crowd. Lately the children have been arguing more, and I have had less patience lately; it is probably because Rich has to be away so much, but it still needs to be addressed. Anyway, we began the lesson by singing As I Have Loved You, and then we talked about how important it is that we show love to each other as a family; we also talked about how we had not been doing as good of a job as we could. I also pointed out that Jesus was our perfect example of what it means to show love to others. Then I showed the children all of the hearts I had cut out, and I asked them what hearts represent. After we talked about how they meant love, I explained that we were each going to think about ways we could show love to each other as a family; as we came up with them, I wrote them on the hearts, and then the children and Rich posted them all around the picture of Jesus we have on the pantry (to remind us of who our perfect example is).
Rich especially liked when we reviewed all of the hearts before putting them on the pantry door. As I finished reading, "Mama will work on not yelling.", Brooke exclaimed, "Yeah, that is a good one." At this point Rich broke out in laughter, yeah, yeah, yeah, funny. At least I was the one to write it down; I think it takes a big person to admit their weaknesses. I know I need to work on yelling less, that is why I wrote it on the heart. He wanted to make sure I shared that story on the blog, so there I shared it; now the whole world knows I am not perfect, but I think ya'll were already aware of that fact. I don't profess to have reached the pinnacle of perfection, but I do try everyday; I get up, I pray for patience, I pray for forgiveness, and I try my best. Somedays I do better than others, and on the days I don't, I repent, and go to bed determined to try again tomorrow. Every day I get up and continue on my journey; I try my best to show my love to my children, show my love to my husband, serve Heavenly Father to the best of my ability, and not waste my time worrying about things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things. One day I will reach the end of my journey, but until then I will just continue to plug away at this thing I call life and motherhood; I will do my best, work on weeding out my weaknesses, and repent when I fall short, and on the days I do fall short, I will remind myself that Heavenly Father knows me, believes in me, and loves me despite my shortcomings.












3 comments:
Rich,
How the heck are you doing? It's been a long time, eh! Looks like you and your family are doing well. I'll send you a link to my blog but it is private so I'll have to add you first before you can access it. You can email me at spencenjess@yahoo.com
Again, My love and respect and admiration for you and all that you do for your family is deep and sincere. I think they all ought to cut you some slack and realize if they did what they were asked, then Mama wouldn't need to yell.
Amen! I've never heard it spelled out so beautifully...
Post a Comment