Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Little Man



Tonight I got to go on a date with the cutest little man this side of the Mason Dixon line, my sweet Braden. Recently Braden's behavior has been less than stellar; so Rich and I sat down last night to discuss possible causes: bad influences at school, jealousy of his sisters, not enough time with his busy daddy, and not enough one on one time with me. We came up with a game plan, and first on the list was some much needed one on one time with me. Braden often has to compete with Brooke and Emma for attention, never quite getting enough. It is not like the old days, when it was just he and I; my motto then was, "Have baby, will travel." Travel is exactly what Braden and I used to do; wherever I went, he was by my side: to Wal-mart, grocery shopping, to get my haircut, to church, you name it, we were there together. Then life changed for him and our little family as we added Brooke and then Emma, and soon little Colton will join our growing brood. With each new addition, more joy came into our lives and our family, but it also meant more sharing of the Mama. So tonight Braden and I went on a little mini date to Sonic, just us, no sisters in tow; he loved it! We pulled up to the Sonic, parked, and Braden crawled up front and perched himself in the passenger seat. He and I discussed what we would order, put in our order, and chatted while we waited for our food. Braden told me about his friends at school, what his daily schedule is like, what he wants for Christmas, making sure to inform me that he is getting me a necklace, a ring, and some flowers for Christmas (he doesn't have any money of course, but it is sweet that he would like to get me those things), and he and I discussed his recent behavior. Finally our food arrived, so we set up our little picnic and continued chatting. Braden and I talked about what he likes most about our family, what he likes the most about his day, what I do that lets him know that I love him (quality time, my words not his), and he informed me that he thinks he should stay home and have me teach him (yeah, not sure what to think about that yet). As I looked across at him, it hit me how fast he is growing up and how important it is that I keep finding time for moments like this; I want Braden to always know that he can come to me to talk, but I know I have to lay the groundwork to make that happen, starting with moments like tonight. It was such a nice evening spending time with my little man; I could tell it really meant a lot to him too, because halfway through our dinner, he looked at me and said, "Mama, I really love you!" I of course said, "I love you too my little buddy!" Before I knew it, our date had drawn to a close; I hated knowing that our one on one time had ended, but I knew that it was just one of many dates to come with my little man, the little man who one day won't be so little anymore.

4 comments:

Jayne said...

Ah, this is so sweet. I don't have to tell you to enjoy these precious, fleeting moments because you already know that all too well.

Kim said...

Aww thats sweet! It's so funny that just the other day I was discussing with Kylie about how Dylan has the middle child syndrome. He has to compete with the babies and his older sister who helps with the babies. So I did the same and we went on a "date" to sonic as well. My little man is 10 and still needs mommy attention. It is way to easy to get rapped up in your daily routine. Taking time out for them does make them feel special and helps their behavior.

Carrie Maseda said...

Kim, that is toooooooo funny; I wonder if we were there on the same night. I'm glad you had time with Dylan; I know you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed my time with Braden! :)

Carrie Maseda said...

Yes Mama, I am trying to enjoy every moment; I just wish they weren't so fleeting. The cuties seem to be growing up right before my eyes, and all I can do is try to take in every minute (and take as many pictures as I can along the way).

The Cutie Patooties