I being a proud Southern belle, born and raised, would never dare spell ya'll any other way. I recently saw it spelled y'all, and I was shocked. I didn't even know there was any other way you could spell it! Rich, my dear misinformed California boy, said that he could see why it would be spelled y'all, because of it being a contraction. I looked on my Paula Deen apron, y'all, I looked in my GRITS guide to life, y'all; did I miss something?! So, I did some research; I read many forums on the topic: it is a contraction, it is you and all, it is ya and all, ya'll is correct, y'all is correct, blah, blah, blah, blah, and more blah. This is a slang Southern word! I couldn't believe I even read someone quote their credentials as an English teacher to support their belief that it was spelled y'all. Is she nuts?! Southern dialect has nothing to do with proper English, that is what makes it so much fun! I am sure that same English teacher would also inform us that due to her credentials she determined that the phrase, "Ain't ya'll fixin' to go to the store?" was also improper English. What do the dictionaries say? Who cares?! Ya'll is slang, what business do the dictionaries have deciding the proper way to spell a phrase that for years most people tried to inform us wasn't a word, much like ain't, which has also creeped its way into the dictionary; I however due to my mother's gentle training have not nor will I ever add ain't to my vocabulary, but I digress. In the south we take pride in who we are, in which side of the Mason Dixon line we were born and raised on, in our family lineage, in our manners, in our accents, and in our country! So, I say, it is a free country, spell it y'all or ya'll, but when you leave my house you will hear me shout,
"YA'LL come back, ya here!!!"












3 comments:
I've never thought about this before your thought-provoking blog, but I must admit (at the risk of incurring your ire) that I have always spelled it "y'all" because I figured the apostrophe was for the missing "ou." This reminds me of the big hoopla about Pawley's Island vs. Pawleys Island. I think the founding fathers and mothers insisted that it be one way while others who may have moved in from more northern climes wanted it the other. I don't know what they finally decided on...probably that either would be fine just like in the ya'll vs. y'all scenario.
By the way, what cha'll gawn do this weekend?
Rich has duty this weekend, so the kids and I are on our own for most of the time. We don't have any plans as of yet. Ya'll should come for a visit. :)
I just read your comment...wish I'd seen it earlier. We'll be there soon, very soon. I was actually thinking of a day during the Labor Day weekend.
Post a Comment