As a parent and a mother, you constantly worry about your children: Are they getting all of the veggies they need? Are they playing outside enough? Did I put enough sunscreen on them? Have I taught them to stand up for themselves? Are they learning all they need to? Do they know how much I absolutely love and adore them? Will they forgive me for the days my patience is in short supply? Am I raising them in a way that will make them assets to society? Do they laugh enough everyday? Is there a good balance of work and play? Are they learning to have a good work ethic? Do I stay close enough to be there when they need me, but not too close that they don't gain their independence or confidence in their own abilities? When I have to discipline them, do they also feel that I love them? Am I disciplining in a way that they understand that there are boundaries, but not squishing their spirits at the same time? Am I doing a good job at finding the natural consequence for their actions? Do I let them be who they are while helping them focus their ENERGY positively? Am I laying the groundwork, so as teenagers they will know they can always come to me? Have I told them enough, that I love them no matter what they do? Have I taught them enough that what they make of themselves on the inside is more important than the outside? Do I give them enough chances to dream and create? Have I achieved a balance in regards to their education? Am I doing a good job at letting them have the opportunities to become all they are meant to be without spoiling them? Are they having enough positive experiences? Do they laugh enough? Am I allowing them to have chances to succeed to build their confidence and self esteem? Do I allow just the right amount of disappointment in their lives to keep them grounded and to keep them from becoming self centered or egotistical? Am I doing enough to little by little prepare them to go out into the world on their own? So many concerns, so many worries, and so many questions!Now the even more important questions:
Do they know with surety that Heavenly Father will always be there for them? Have I done enough to convey to them about the incredible love Jesus Christ has for them? Do they understand the love behind the sacrifice he made? Are they having enough opportunities to feel the spirit? Am I making sure they are gaining their own testimony little by little, line upon line? Do they truly know that when they pray, Heavenly Father is anxiously waiting and listening? Am I teaching them where to turn for comfort and strength? Have I told them enough that Heavenly Father and Jesus are there for us during times of sadness, struggle, and joy? Am I making sure that their spiritual, emotional, and temporal needs are being met?
I'm sure many of you know that I could go on and on wondering and listing questions that we as mothers and parents worry about, things we concern ourselves with daily. We have been given care of these precious spirits, and it is vitally important that we get it right!
Recently I read in Standing for Something:
"Every individual in the world is a child of a mother and a father. Neither can ever escape the consequences of parenthood. Inherent in the act of creation is responsibility for the child who is created. None can with impunity run from that responsibility.
Wrote Paul to Timothy, "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel" (1 Timothy 5:8). I am satisfied that Paul is speaking of more than physical nourishment. It is not enough simply for parents to provide food and shelter for their children's physical well-being. There is an equal responsibility to provide nourishment and direction to the spirit and the mind and the heart.
Parents have not just a responsibility but a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God, and to be law-abiding citizens where they live."
Where am I going with all of this you may be asking yourselves? I am trying to show that being a parent and mother means worry, concern and the desire to do your best. I am also leading up to my recent dilemma and soul searching decision. This week I asked myself these specific questions:
Do I give them enough chances to dream and create? Have I achieved a balance in regards to their education? Am I doing a good job at letting them have the opportunities to become all they are meant to be without spoiling them?
This week however all of these questions had to do with only one of my children, the beautiful, intelligent, and sassy
This week Rich and I made the decision to pull Brooke out of preschool. We considered the cost of preschool, the additional cost of dance, and weighed the positives and negatives of having her in preschool. Brooke had only been attending two days a week, didn't seem to be learning more than fun songs, and there were two girls who were being mean to her. (Why do there always have to be mean people? Who would want to be mean to Brooke?!) We finally decided that it would be the best decision to put the money back into our budget, pull her out of preschool, and have me homeschool her at home this year.
Do I give them enough chances to dream and create? Have I achieved a balance in regards to their education? Am I doing a good job at letting them have the opportunities to become all they are meant to be without spoiling them?
There is such a fine line between giving them all they need and spoiling them, and then you have to wonder what constitutes enough. All this week, I struggled with our decision. Will Brooke not be all she can be because she misses this opportunity? Am I taking her away from something she vitally needs just to save a little money every month? Does she really HAVE to have preschool at 3?! How will she react when we tell her? Is this one of those times we as parents just have to do what we think is right and allow Brooke to have a little disappointment? Will there even be any disappointment? (When we told her our decision, she was completely unfazed.) Am I just spending too much time worrying about this?
Back and forth I went all week; I just couldn't seem to know if what we were doing is right, so finally I called the one person who I knew could help me put everything into perspective, my mama!
I felt so much better about our decision after talking to her; she always knows just what to say. I often get so emotionally involved in a situation in addition to walking that fine line, wanting so badly to give Brooke the opportunities I am able to, that I needed someone to help me step back and put everything into perspective. I guess you never get too old to need your mama!
Slideshow of Brooke's last day at preschool soon to come












6 comments:
I think you absolutely made the right decision! In my opinion, the best place for children under 5 is to be at home with their mothers. You of all people can give her what she needs at home - love, nurturing, safety, security, and education. Of course, our family has taken on the added responsibility to educate them at home beyond the age of 5, but that is totally a personal decision, but one we have never regretted. I understand the stressing over situations such as these. There will always be pros and cons to every situation. I'm glad your mom could give you some good words of advice! I think Brooke will be very happy at home with her mother!
Wow- how do you get through each day with all of these thoughts going through your head? I don't mean that negatively at all- that is just a lot to deal with on a daily basis!
You are, without a doubt, a wonderful, caring, loving mother. I have thought a lot these last couple of weeks about everything that is going on- the horrible economy, abortion, gay marriage rights, etc. Certainly the state of our world is rapidly deteriorating, as we knew would happen in preparation for the second coming. But amidst all of this, all we truly have power over is what happens inside our homes. We can only do our best with our children, and do what we think will help them best. You are a glowing example of a woman who does that on a daily basis- don't be so hard on yourself!!!! Trust your decisions and know that you are doing everything in your power to create the best home you can for your children. You are amazing-you need to remember that!!!!!
Wow...sure wasn't expecting the end of this (the lovely photograph). While reading all of the questions and concerns, my principal thoughts were:
1.Yes, Carrie knows what it's like to be a parent, a role she will NEVER outgrow.
2.You deserve an A+ in the mothering department.
3.Have you inquired of the Lord? I know the answer to that one, and I know the answer or impression you must have received so it's time to let it go.
Thanks Melinda! I've enjoyed having Brooke home with me already, and it felt so good on Friday when she looked at me and said, "School at home with you is a lot more fun than preschool." I think society tries to tell us that our kids need more than they really do and sometimes I listen when I shouldn't. In the end, I know that I know what is best for my kids; I just to remind myself of that more often! :)
Thank you so much Christina for your reassuring words and wonderful compliments! I think I want to do what is best for my kids so much, that sometimes I second guess myself. I'm glad that I am finally at peace with my decision and know that I am indeed doing what is best for Brooke and our family.
Thank you again Mama for helping me work through my thoughts and feelings; you helped me really put everything in perspective, and you helped me realize that I knew what was best all along. I guess I just was doubting myself for fear of Brooke missing out on something, and you helped remind me that I can give her more than they ever could; I am the one Heavenly Father sent her to, to mother, to mold, and to guide. Thanks Mama, and thanks for always being there for me! I love you!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment