For Family Home Evenings in 2008 we have decided to follow the Primary Outline for Sharing Time this year, "I Am a Child of God." This past Monday was our first week using it, so even though Braden is going to be doing the third weekly principle, we started with the first: 'I am a child of God. I lived with Him in the premortal world. I am created in His image.' Often it is hard determining what spiritual topic to discuss each week, so we thought using the outline would be perfect; it is a way to reinforce what is being taught at church and go a little deeper. At this age, Braden and Brooke have such a desire to learn about anything that has to do with Heavenly Father and Jesus, but it is funny how they each take turns having their angelic moments. Case in point: During the lesson, I read part of the Proclamation on the Family and we discussed the line that states that we were created in God's image: "All human beings-male and female-are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny." I talked about how Heavenly Father and Jesus both had eyes, arms, noses, mouths, ears, etc., and that we also had these things. I then asked them what they each could see with their eyes and hear with their ears. Brooke proceeded to tell me that you could hear jungle animals, 'snakes hisssssssssssss, lions ROAR, and tigers ROAR.' Braden however had a sweet angelic moment and said, "You can hear people when they need help." I then talked about how grateful we should be for these wonderful bodies that we have been given, and we talked about how we exercise and eat good foods to keep our bodies healthy and strong. Brooke sweetly adds, "Mommy, you exercise to keep your body healthy." I said, "Yes, I do Brooke; you saw Mommy exercise this morning didn't you?" (of course I didn't mention that I was also exercising in an effort to evict the 5 pounds that seems to have taken up residence) To finish the lesson, we talked about how we lived with Heavenly Father before we came here, and we talked about how if we pass the test we will live with him again as an eternal family. Brooke of course was very curious, "Mommy, what kind of test?" "Well, Brooke we have been given a body and sent here to see if we will do what is right." Brooke continues to look at me with a quizzical expression, so I continue. "We have been given commandments and the scriptures as a guide to tell us what to do and not to do, how to treat other people, and how to live our lives." "If we do these things, we will be blessed by getting to live with Heavenly Father, Jesus, and each other forever." Children have the sweetest spirits; when I finished explaining everything to Brooke, her little face was lit up with excitement. I love it when we have Family Home Evening, and the kids really feel the spirit. I am determined to make sure to give my children opportunities to feel Heavenly Father and Jesus' love for them; I want Braden, Brooke, and Emma to do what is right out of their great love for Heavenly Father and Jesus, not out of fear. I don't want them to live on my testimony or on my light; I want to give them opportunities now to gain that testimony little by little, and I think having Family Home Evening is an important ingredient. Well, after the lesson and closing prayer, we adjourned to the kitchen to enjoy the Dora popsicles Rich had bought for our treat. Overall, I think it was a great Family Home Evening, and you could tell Braden and Brooke really got something out of it. Brooke definitely wanted to read the scriptures and learn more, because later that night Brooke brought me the children scriptures and wanted to read. She noticed quickly that I was busy nursing Emma, so she said, "You read, and I will hold them." She had everything figured out, how could I say no?! Braden however wanted to watch television instead, so he was not pleased when I turned it off; see what I mean about them taking turns having those angelic moments?!
Friday, January 18, 2008
Family Home Evening
Here are some pictures of Braden and Emma enjoying their popsicles; you have to love Emma's expressions!
Posted by
Carrie Maseda
at
9:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












0 comments:
Post a Comment