Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sometimes...

Sometimes, something happens to you or someone you care about that rocks you to the core; it makes you rethink everything and how you are living your life.  Sometimes, something happens that is so sudden and so devastating, you can't quite wrap your mind around what has happened.  It makes you wonder if you are giving your all, taking time to enjoy the small and simple things, and if you are showing enough love to those that mean the most.  It makes you realize how quickly everything can be taken from you. In that one instant, life for you or someone is changed forever; it forces you to your knees, it tears at your soul, and it leaves you feeling helpless.  You want to make it better; you want desperately to make the pain go away, but only time can do that, time and the love of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. 



Without divulging a lot of information, I will simply say that some of our dear friends lost someone very close to them this past weekend in a car accident, a family who we hold near and dear to our hearts.  This beautiful woman who died was many things to many people: a mother, a daughter, a friend.  Her loss is sorely felt right now by so many people, and along with those feelings of loss, lessons are being learned.  As I contemplate what has happened, as I am having trouble thinking about much else, I think about those precious children that will now grow up without their mother.  I think about how, for now, she too is missing out on seeing her children grow up, and I ache imagining not being able to see my own children mature and develop, the agony of not being there to comfort them, to encourage them, to help guide them, to kiss their tears away, to laugh with them, to cheer for them, and look at their beautiful, innocent faces every single day!  As I continue to mull things over in my mind, one thought and one question persists, 'How would I live my life if I knew that today could be my last?'  Would I worry less and enjoy more?  Would I cuddle more and clean less?  As I ponder these questions and so many more, I am reminded, that we all need to live like today could be our last; sometimes it takes a tragedy to make us recollect something we already knew. 



If I Only Had Today
by: Hilary Weeks


It seems like I've watched a million sunsets

And stared at a thousand full moons
Sometimes it feels like I've been here forever
And sometimes it feels all brand new
I could never count the heart beats from the day I was born until now
But not a single word goes unnoticed By Him who breathes life in me somehow


But if there were no more tomorrows
If I knew that I could not stay
I'd know how I'd spend every moment
If I only had today


Chorus:


I'd hold you and listen
And I'd let the dishes sit in the sink
I'd tell you I loved you over and over
And for once I'd let the phone ring
Then I'd remind you of forever
And how our love would never change
If I' only had today


Lyrics:


I'd wake up before the sun did
And I'd watch as you quietly sleep
I'd pray for time to move slowly
Knowing the moment won't keep




All the gifts that heaven has given
Every blessing that's come my way
Wouldn't mean anything without you
So if I only had today



Chorus:
I'd hold you and listen

And I'd let the dishes sit in the sink
I'd tell you I loved you over and over
And for once I'd let the phone ring
Then I'd remind you of forever
And how our love would never change
If I' only had today




Lyrics:
There's no time like the present
Life doesn't come with any guarantees
The sun set and time won't wait
So while I have today




Chorus:
I'll hold you and listen
I'll let the dishes sit in the sink
Ill tell you I love you over and over
For once I'll just let the phone ring
And I'll remind you of forever
And how our love will never change
Because I have today

(Song from this amazing CD)

0 comments:

The Cutie Patooties