Ever heard of the show World's Strictest Parents? I hadn't either, until I found out that the man who was the second counselor in the stake presidency (church stuff) and his family were going to be on it. Cool, huh?!!! At least I thought so. Well, as many of you know, Rich and I don't have cable, so I had to wait until they put the entire episode on www.cmt.com; it was worth the wait! I got some great ideas from it, the consequence jar for example (which I will blog more about later). I also sooooooooooo want a skirt like the one Dana Cork (the mother of the family) helped one of the visiting teens make (ADORABLE). In case you want to check it out, here is the link, http://www.cmt.com/videos/misc/391878/worlds-strictest-parents-105-the-cork-family-1.jhtml?id=1611505
They are a fantastic family, and it let me know that having respectful, hardworking, loving teenagers can be a reality! I have been so scared that my children will grow up, turn 12 or 13, and turn into disrespectful, lazy, ungrateful children! Around me lately I have witnessed teenagers talk back to their parents, completely ignore their parents, act as if their parents are simply things or beings to do their bidding, and totally disprespect their parents!
let me know, that by laying the groundwork (which Rich and I are trying so hard to do), we can have loving, respectful teenagers.
Thank you Cork family for opening up your home to America!
Your family is an inspiration!












5 comments:
In teaching high school I learned that there are some horrible teenagers out there- BUT, there are also a TON of wonderful, caring, very respectful teenagers as well. And, yes, I discovered most of it came down to parenting- talk about pressure!
I was watching the "Strictest Parents" marathon today on CMT. The show should really be called..."Out of Control Teenagers." I'm of the firm belief that if you set boundaries and hold your kids accountable that they have the potential to be good teenagers. (I have three right now!) They are not perfect, but we make sure they know how they can and cannot treat us and how they can and cannot behave. They've learned the hard way that following rules is not constraint but the way to freedom. I'll have to look up that episode...they don't look familiar from the picture.
The Corks are without a doubt WONDERFUL.
What I've been learning after watching other families (and before teens) and thinking I knew what to do and what not to do is that a higher percentage cred goes to the kids and a little less to parenting. They sure come with their own personalities and parents can only do so much about that.
But I must say, I've seen really great kids get mouthey with some super awesome parents. I don't know if anyparents gets to escape that entirely.
* any parent
I love the Corks we had Lindsay in our family on the trek. It was good to see them interact on the show and see them have such an impact on the teen girl especially.
Post a Comment