Well, I guess it is official, my little baby is not such a little baby anymore; he is growing up. Yesterday was Braden's first day of kindergarten. For the last month, I have been buying uniforms, hemming uniform shorts, and buying school supplies in anticipation of the big day. Tuesday night the whole family went to see Braden's new school for open house; he met his teacher and explored his classroom, and then yesterday was the BIG day!
First, Braden started off with a breakfast of caramel sticky buns, grapes, and orange juice.


Next, Braden got all decked out in his uniform, we gathered his book bag, school supplies, and loaded up in the van.
This is what he looked like before going to school, not scared or nervous at all. I however had trouble going to sleep the night before worrying about how he would do.




This is Braden walking into the classroom, mat in hand, still calm.
This is Braden writing his name on his first official worksheet of Kindergarten.
And this, is Braden when he realized I had to leave. Can you say, tear your heart out? I knew I had to leave him, but it was hard. I worried about him the rest of the day, but I knew that he was in good hands with his teacher.
This is Braden after school, telling us all about his day. He talked nonstop from the time I picked him up, until we got home; he only stopped to take sips from his celebratory vanilla milkshake. I guess I worried for nothing; he LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Braden told me, "When you left, I cried a little bit, but then I got happy." (good, that is what I was hoping would happen)

My worry for today, whether he made it to his classroom okay. I was tempted to walk him to class again, but Rich luckily encouraged me to let him see if he could do it on his own (sure glad Rich is on my team). When I pulled away from the school, Braden was still standing outside wondering where to go, but at least he had a smile on his face; he also was surrounded by teachers. I hate thinking about Braden being scared or crying, but I know that by succeeding and overcoming an obstacle on his own, his confidence grows. Having said that, I will still feel better when Braden is safely back in the van this afternoon telling me about another great day at school.
4 comments:
Great pictures. I loved reading about Braden's first day of school, especially your adjustment and reactions. Just so you'll know, these feels of apprehension and anxiety about your children never go away!!!
I love that they have uniforms- I wish all schools had them!
I kept thinking about how our sons have both gone through major milestones lately and blogged about them today. Please check it out.
Yeah Christina, I didn't like the idea of uniforms at first (not as much fun shopping), but now I love them! It is so easy for Braden to get ready in the morning, which makes my job a lot easier!
Post a Comment