Well, our 4th of July weekend was a busy and crazy one. We started off Friday morning just spending time together at home, where Emma, the little priss that she is, tried on Brooke's heels for us,...
... and I finished Brooke's pajama bottoms I had been sewing.
Next, we headed to the neighborhood pool for a little swimming and socializing, and quite a bit of chasing Emma around. She is fearless around the pool and even decided to take a little dip without assistance, luckily Rich was watching her (and he had covered her with floaties).
After the pool, we came home, showered, made a solar oven, cooked some smores in our new trusty oven, ate the goodies, and then I took a nap.
After my nap, I made a pasta salad, Rich ran to the store for last minute supplies, and then we headed to the Prices' for hamburgers and hot dogs. Then after dinner we all loaded up in our vehicles and headed to Savannah for the fireworks. Every year they have fireworks on River Street in Savannah, but I have never wanted to attempt it because of the crowds. The Prices however shared their little secret; they watch them across the river at the convention center, so that is exactly what we all did. We set up camp, socialized, the kids played, and we waited for the fireworks to begin. Braden and Brooke loved sitting up on the vans watching the fireworks, but I can't say the same for Emma; she HATED them, and that would be putting it mildly! Braden even sacrificed the earplugs he had brought for himself, but she still screamed. Finally, she fell asleep as I cupped by hand over her ear and held her close to me.
Saturday was a busy day of cleaning and catching up, but Braden did get to have some father son time with Rich Saturday night; he and Rich packed a picnic and headed to the church. It had started to rain, so Braden and Rich decided to have their picnic inside and play a little kickball in the gym; Braden LOVED having Rich all to himself! Braden asked me after they got home whose turn it is to have a date with Rich next, and I said, "Mine, Mine, Mine!"
Today of course was Sunday, which in our house means church, and it means adorable children; there was one Maseda child in particular that was looking especially lovely today, so I made sure to snap a few pictures.
After church, we did the typical: lunch, books, and naps; oh, and the crazy show that Brooke and Braden put on for us where they danced, and Brooke pretended she had a baby in her tummy and was sick and asked Braden (who was pretending to be the daddy) to go to Wal-mart and to please take the children with him (have no idea where she would get that from, LOL).
Though for many that may not be typical, in our house impromptu shows are typical and a common occurence. What happened tonight though was anything but typical! For those who don't know, I recently borrowed a set of knitting looms from my friend Cindy; you know the kind, the Kniffty Knitters, they make it easy for anyone to knit. Anyway, Emma somehow gets a hold of one (I really don't know how she gets half of the things she gets) and manages to get the loom over her head, but she can't get it off. All of a sudden I hear screaming; I discover the source and plead with Rich to help her, but it is no use. It's not coming off; attempting to pull it off only makes it worse, so we start running through our options. Our first option: take all of the pegs out of the loom and see if we can slip it off then. Nope, no go, still stuck. I frantically think of solutions, maybe we can grease her head and get it off; as I am saying this, I understand that it would be futile, but I am desperate to save my daughter and save the loom. Finally, we know what must be done; it has to be cut off, so Rich goes to the garage to retrieve his coping saw. I attempt to calm Emma down and resign myself to the fact that I will be going to Wal-mart tomorrow to buy Cindy a replacement set of looms. Once Rich is back inside, the cutting commences, while I cradle Emma and protect her head. Rich gets one half of the loom cut only to realize he is going to have to cut the other side as well, to prevent possible injury to Emma if he tries to simply pull it apart, so begins the cutting and the screaming. After what seemed like eternity, she was released from her loom prison and collapses exhausted in my arms. Yes, I know many, if not all, of you are laughing right now. I know I will too, one day, but in the meantime I share the painful event only for your amusement. I of course documented our drama with pictures (Braden our other resident photographer was only too happy to oblige); I present them to you as evidence that: 1) Maseda Mayhem is the perfect name for our blog and 2) that we ended our 4th of July weekend with a bang.













2 comments:
I knew that whatever you did to celebrate the Fourth would be fun, but I didn't expect the weekend to end with such drama. That little girl has to be watched every second, doesn't she? I'm sorry Emma didn't enjoy the fireworks because sitting in Savannah, GA and watching them from across the street sounds wonderful. Remember when we watched them across the Hudson River in NYC?
Oh my goodness. Bless her heart. My Emma likes to get into situations such as that, but thankfully we haven't had to get out the saw. You are correct, one day you will laugh. Just remember, many of us have been in similar situations and we all can relate.
Brenda Howard
Post a Comment