Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Funny Boy

This boy makes me laugh, often without even really trying.

Before I share my latest fit of laughter brought on by this handsome son of mine, I need to lay the groundwork and give you a little necessary background information.  About two years ago, give or take a few months, Braden decided he needed a way to distinguish between his three grandmamas (my mama, Rich's mama, and my grandmama); after much thought, he decided that he would assign them colors.

First there is Black Grandma, due to her dark locks.

Second, there is Brown Grandma, again due to her hair.


Third there is White Grandmama, his great grandmama (who probably actually has the least amount of gray or white hair out of all three of them)

As you probably have already gathered, we often get quite the looks when we are at various stores, and he begins to talk about his grandmothers, always referring to them and their colors. ex: (in the middle of Wal-mart) When are we going to go visit Black Grandma? To continue, I must also point out that Braden is in Reading Recovery right now at school, where everyday his Reading Recovery teacher writes a sentence he has journaled, cuts it up, and places it into a labeled envelope, for him to later reconstruct at home.  Every afternoon, I pick up Braden, and quickly look in his backpack; I check his work from the day and swiftly move on to his Reading Recovery bag, looking to see what books he has brought home and what his sentence is for the day.  Well, a few weeks ago, I anxiously looked into his bag, pulled out his daily envelope, and was greeted by this.

Do I even need to tell you that I instantly started laughing hysterically?!  I pictured the puzzled look on his Reading Recovery teacher's face as she looked at Braden and possibly thought, 'You look pretty white to me.'  I laughed at the conversation that must have taken place after that journal entry.  I laughed and laughed, and then I laughed some more; in fact, I laughed all the way home!  Once I finally gained my composure, and I had shared the envelope with Rich (I thought he could use a good laugh too), I investigated a little more, asking Braden more about what he told his teacher; what I really wanted to know is if he left his teacher wondering how in the world a little boy that looks so white could have a Black Grandmama.  With a serious look on his face, he said, "Mama, I told her that Black Grandmama has black hair and peach skin."
As you may imagine, this caused more laughter and more giggles; thinking about it now still brings a smile to my face, and for that reason, I will always hold on to this envelope!

You never know when you might need a good laugh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love that precious little blue-eyed fellow.

Postak Family said...

Braden is awesome! I needed a good laugh, too! That is too much.

The Cutie Patooties