once again, I found myself contemplating this quote from Anna Quindlen, which the author had included in the book.
Here is the excerpt:
Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said, "The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularyly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
I think this quote is so true and so powerful; how often do we truly savor the fleeting moments we have with our children? Tonight as we sat down to supper, I intently studied each one of my precious children's faces, trying to soak it all in and not let that time pass too quickly. I noticed the creativity Brooke put into the selection of her "unique" outfit; I watched Colton's sweet face grow serious as he intently studied everything going on around him, and I watched Emma's chubby cheeks and sweet little hands as she hurriedly ate. I noticed how mature Braden's face is becoming, realizing that my little boy is not going to be my little boy for much longer. I noticed Emma's sweet blonde curls, Braden's adorable dimples, Brooke's beautiful smile, and Colton's tiny little toes. I also listened: to their laughter, to their sweet voices, and to the thoughts they were so freely expressing, and as I sat, I realized how much I may have missed in the past; I also vowed to do what Anna Quindlen wishes she had done, treasure the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less, and that is the reason I agreed to have a
Maseda 80's Dance.
There were lesson plans to prepare (homeschooling Brooke preschool), articles to read, and ideas to search, but I knew that taking that time with my family was much more important tonight. So, Rich bought a collection of 80's songs off of itunes, adjusted his outfit to fit the 80's theme (popped his collar, rolled up his pants, and put on penny loafers), and we were ready to begin, starting with Rich going all out showing us all of his Michael Jackson dance moves. Alas, Rich threatened to stop if I pulled out the camera for his performance, so I just sat back and enjoyed (It was good though, really good; man, I wish you could have seen it). After his solo, the kids joined in on the fun, while I took pictures and video.
Here are some of the pictures:
Here are the videos, starting with Braden and Brooke dancing; I have to admit, I was very impressed with Braden's dance skills. I love how he just lets loose!












4 comments:
soooo cute!!! I love that y'all teach them how to dance. They also have some great moves on their own.
Just so you know, I think Anna Q. would agree that you do a better job of almost anyone I know of watching...of paying attention and listening AND THEN recording these precious moments of your children's lives.
Make that "better job than almost...."
You two are amazing parents, always thinking of fun things to do together as a family.
Did you decide to homeschool? I am going to have to return to teaching next month. We hope it will just be for a year or two until Jim's business gets going better. I am going to hate putting the girls in daycare, but it has to be done. We have to live and pay bills and have insurance, etc. :) Luckily, I do love teaching, but I will miss being with my girls all day. I will just have to take in every single moment we are together and make the best of it.
Post a Comment