Friday, May 30, 2008

We've created little monsters~pee monsters that is!

I have no idea what my children's obsession with peeing is all about, but they are definitely obsessed. They are fascinated that they can go to the bathroom outside, yes even Brooke. I have told Brooke countless times that she needs to come inside the house if she has to use the bathroom, only to have her run into the house after the fact and proudly exclaim, "I went potty outside." I take no credit for making her a pee monster, but I hate to say, I may have played a role in Braden's conversion. I think it all started in California; we were stuck in traffic, no where to go, and Braden had to GO! I used my quick mommy thinking, looked frantically for a bottle, threw it back to Braden, and explained he was going to have to pee in the bottle. At first he was appalled, but after he finished, he was very proud of himself; I guess maybe it is some male rite of passage. Well, this was the beginning of the end; now he pees in bushes at Walgreens, in bushes at the pool, pees in our backyard, pees in cups in the bathroom, and pees in bottles in our kitchen! I guess I should mention that all of these times, there was a bathroom within 100 yards of him, but he decided to bypass them all; I guess he wanted to be in touch with nature. Is there something manly about being free?! I have to admit also though, that I don't always help the issue; I must confess that I like that I can stop on the side of the road to let him go to the bathroom without having to search for a convenience store, or even yet, having to park the van and lug all 3 children into the store. I still must pose the question though, "How do you teach a boy that there are times that call for desperate times and times that call for being a civilized human?" Maybe it is some male thing, because when Rich got home last night from basketball I told him how Braden had proudly showed me his yellow filled bottle (and it wasn't lemonade baby) that he had most recently filled (can't leave the cuties alone for a minute), and I could tell Rich was doing all he could do to keep a straight face. I think part of him was proud of Braden; I bet they went out in the backyard later and beat their chests in celebration of Braden's accomplishment. MY BOYS?!!!! They make me crazy, but I wouldn't trade them for anything!

0 comments:

The Cutie Patooties