Monday, March 24, 2008

Motherhood Reflections

Today I have been reflecting on what it means to be a mother and what an incredible role I play every single day. My reflecting began as I listened to the song "Somebody's Hero" by Jamie O'Neal, and following that song I listened to "You're Gonna Miss This" by Trace Adkins. It is crazy how different things affect you and cause you to really start thinking. After listening to both songs, I really started looking at my children. I started thinking about how precious every moment I get to spend with them is; I thought about how much I am going to miss this time in their lives. Every day is slipping through my fingers, do I really want to spend that time I have with them worrying about things as insignificant as having an immaculate house when it means I would miss precious moments with my children? Do I want to stress about things that rob me of happy times? As I pondered these things and looked at my sweet children's faces, it hit me that this is where I find my true happiness in life. Often the world creeps in and makes me think that what I am doing is not as noble and sacred as it really is; the world constantly bombards us with advice and criticism for a woman's decision to be not only a mother but a homemaker.


You will lose yourself if you spend your whole life giving to others.


It is a waste of a good mind and life for a woman to stay at home and be a mother.


How can anyone truly feel fulfilled being a mom and a homemaker?


How does doing dishes and washing clothes make a difference?


You need to live your own life, be who you are, and don’t let children hold you back.


You must have an important title and make money to be of worth.

In this world and the next Motherhood is one of the most important titles we as women can have. Women of the world may touch hundreds of lives, perhaps even thousands, but a mother touches countless lives. A mother’s influence can be felt not only in this life but throughout the eternities. I think that is much more important than projects we complete or awards we win.



Upon more reflection, I began to ask myself more questions. When I look back on my life, what will I remember? What will anyone remember about their own life? Will anyone remember or care if you were a size 6 or a size 16? Will anyone remember what degree you did or didn’t have? Will anyone remember what you were voted most likely to be in high school? Will anyone remember what kind of car you drove or what kind of house you lived in? Will anyone remember how many awards you won or how much money you did or didn’t make? Will anyone remember your wrinkles, your extra few pounds of baby weight, or your mommy stained clothes? The answer is a resounding NO!


They however will remember the love you gave. Every day of motherhood is a lesson in sacrifice, patience, and love. As a mother you work a lifetime giving to those you love, but when you are old and in your twilight years, you will see the fruits of your hard work. You may not be surrounded by exquisite furniture or a grand collection of belongings, but you will be surrounded by the people that have been touched by your love. When your hair is white with age, your body burdened with years of wear, your soul filled with wisdom, and your heart filled with love, you will know that your life was one of nobility. You will know that you gave all that you had to those most important, your family.


As I continued to reflect and think about my twilight years, I began to think about what I would remember one day as I looked at my grown children, their spouses, and their children. I realized I wouldn't remember how much we did or didn't have or sacrifices we had to make to have a family. I realized I would remember:


sweet baby cheeks


little hands wrapped around my fingers


singing in the car


dancing with abandon in the kitchen


showering my children with kisses


slobbery baby kisses


first words spoken


kissing boo boos


cooking with my children by my side


books read


looks of pride on my children's faces as they overcame an obstacle


the feeling of sweet arms wrapped around my neck


the sound of laughter filling my house and my heart


all nighters with sick children


the first time I heard each of my children cry


the joy I felt each time I found out I was pregnant


the beauty of my children's smiles


Maseda Movie Madness nights


splashing in the pool with my children


the pride and sadness I felt the first time Braden went to school


hearing "I love you the most Mama!"


singing lullabies to my children


teaching my children the scriptures and watching their testimonies grow


listening to Braden tell me how much he loves Jesus and how much he misses him


hearing Brooke say a prayer to Heavenly Father


watching Emma tackle her brother


watching them see who can get to their daddy first when he gets home from work


the constant talking at the dinner table


and all of the memories we have yet to make.


As I relived some of these memories in my mind and continued to contemplate about my twilight years, I came to the realization that I want to do all I can to live my life now. I want to savor every single minute I have with my children. I want to worry less and enjoy more. I want to stop and listen to Brooke's barrage of questions of why things are the way they are, I want to stop and take the time to cuddle and read to Braden, and I want to stop and get on the floor and play with Emma.


I've decided that my whole life has prepared me to be a mother, and I know this is the greatest mission I am to fulfill on this earth. Heavenly Father has prepared me for this sacred and noble calling, and I am not going to let him, my children, or my husband down. I truly do love my life, and all of the chaos is worth it if it means my children feel loved and cherished! We may not always have all the world thinks we should have: the latest fashion, the latest toy, or the newest car, but we will have each other, and we will have love; I couldn't imagine anything more! I know that what we as a family have is what is most important, and I know that being a mother is helping mold me into something I could have never become on my own. My children have taught me unconditional love, patience, sacrifice, and strength beyond what I thought I had; they are an example to me, and as I serve them I grow.


As a child, I always hoped and dreamed I would get to be a mother, I am so very grateful that my dream came true!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carrie, This was wonderful to read. Mothers (as you well know) are always happy when they know that their children are living the lives they were meant to live! You're the consummate (hope that's the right word) wife and mother, and the other four Georgia Masedas are blessed to have you in their lives.

Later today I'm going to add more to this about...well, you'll have to wait and see. Right now I need to shower and get ready to continue our Nashville stuff.

Beth said...

Why did you have to get me so emotional?! You are so right, and I love your deep reflecting.

Pamelia said...

You are such a great writer. I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing and helping me with your words.

Anonymous said...

Rereading this made me feel even happier than when I read it a week or so ago, and I think it's because I realize what a good place you are in right now and how much you appreciate all of your many blessings. You're a tough little cookie and have been through some sad times in your life already, and yet these tribulations and heartaches probably helped you to savor the rich life you now have.

Carrie Maseda said...

Thanks Mama; I know that the trials have truly helped me appreciate what I have, and I am so grateful for everything, especially my beautiful family.

Carrie Maseda said...

Beth and Pamelia, I am glad both of you enjoyed reading my reflections; the spirit just really touched my heart that day, and I just knew I had to write it all down. We are all doing one of the greatest jobs on earth, being a mother; I just think we all have days where we need to remind ourselves of that! Keep up the good, yet hard work girls! :)

The Cutie Patooties