If anyone has watched a Primary Sacrament Program, you know that there is always that one child who is doing their own thing, that one child who can't seem to sit still, that one child who does all he or she can to draw attention to themselves, that one child who tries to carry on a conversation with his parents in the audience, that one child who has designated himself the ham of the production; today that child belonged to me (and to think Rich and I worried that Braden might get up in front of everyone and get scared, freeze, and refuse to stay up front for the entire program). During the program Braden proceeded to: crawl all over his chair, fall on his butt, cover his face and nose with tissue, wave the tissue in the air like a banner, tear up the tissue, blow up his cheeks with air and ceremoniously pop them, and contort his face in as many ways as possible. Of course along with Braden's behavior comes the inner struggle, do you as a parent sternly reprimand your child, do you go up front and remove your child (drawing attention to yourself as well), crawl under your chair from embarrassment, fight fruitlessly to contain the laughter, or do you sit back, remind yourself that he is only 4, and enjoy the show?! I decided to finally pick the latter alternative, sprinkled with a little laughter of course; I couldn't help myself, it was so stinking funny. I really am going to have to get better at one of the all important cardinal rules of parenting,
Sunday, November 18, 2007
One of these things is not like the other
"During your child's misbehavior, keep a straight face at all costs!"
(and laugh your head off when they are out of ear shot)
Posted by
Carrie Maseda
at
2:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












2 comments:
I wish I could have been there in person, but hearing about Braden's premiere performance helps me to visualize it. I can just see him...and you and Rich trying to keep straight faces.
At one point I had to cover my face, so Braden couldn't see me smile and laugh; I knew he didn't need any more encouragement.
Post a Comment