Saturday, December 22, 2007

Braden's Christmas Party



Here are pictures from Braden's party at school. Can I just say how much I love having Braden in preschool?! Yes, the learning is the main reason, but I also love getting to go on the field trips, buy things for his parties, and get to do some of the things I did as a teacher without the actual headache of some aspects of teaching. I think I am having as much fun as Braden, just watching him having all of his new adventures, and tagging along for some of them. I love that his life is filled with so much excitement right now, lately about Christmas. He and Brooke are practically bouncing off the walls waiting for Christmas! Brooke also attended Braden's party and also participated in the festivities, including the gift exchange. Which by the way, let me just say that children are a lot more appreciative and easily pleased than we are as adults. The reason I say this is that Braden got as a gift a big lame Spongebob electric toothbrush, or at least that is what I thought. Braden opened his gift, I saw what it was, and thought to myself, 'You've got to be kidding, a toothbrush?!' 'How lame is that!' I stayed quiet though and waited for Braden's reaction. What was his reaction? He loved it! Maybe I am the one who is lame (no comments from the peanut gallery). I can't tell you how many times he has brushed his teeth since receiving his present. Brooke and Braden, and their vivid imaginations, have also pretended that the toothbrush is hair clippers, and they pretend to cut each other's hair. It just lets me know that Rich and I made the right decision to scale back this year. We decided to borrow a great idea from our friend the Laings and get the children each: a spiritual gift, a fun gift, and a practical gift. Presents are not the real reason we celebrate Christmas anyway; it is a time we spend with family, forgive, give of ourselves, show love, and think about Jesus and the life he lived. My children constantly remind me of that, especially since Braden and Brooke also lately have gotten into the habit of putting towels, sheets, blankets, or anything they can get their hands on and throwing it over their heads and announcing, "I am Mary." "I am Joseph." "Emma is baby Jesus." Oh, the sweet spirits of children; they have a special way of reminding us crazy adults what is truly important in life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The family is absolutely amazing. What a blessing!

We can't wait to make a trip across the country to actually see for ourselves in person.

With Love,
Rob & Donnetta Gomes

Richard said...

Glad you enjoyed it. We're actually tentatively planning a trip out west not this summer but next. We may be doing a family reunion in Utah so we'll have to see if we can get Edwin down from Idaho and you up from Arizona. Talk to you later, Rich

The Cutie Patooties