Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Big Brave 4 yr. old

Today Braden had to go to the doctor for his 4 year old well visit, and I was a little nervous about him having to get so many shots. I had been trying to prepare him for it by talking to him about what was going to happen. I have to admit I also fibbed a little to get him prepared. Reading the book about Dora going to the dentist had worked like a charm to get him to let them clean his teeth, so I told him that I was sure Dora had been to the doctor before and gotten shots. I also bribed him and reassured him. I told him that Daddy (there was no way I could take 3 kids to the doctor while one was getting shots, not when one child was a 2 month old) would be by his side, hold his hand, and even hold him if he wanted him to; I also told him that he and Daddy would go get milkshakes, just the two of them, if he did a good job. Well, my brave 4 year old did a great job! When he got home, he told me that he cried, because it hurt. I told him that it was okay to cry when something hurts, but that I was proud of him that he hadn't had a fit. Not only was he my brave 4 year old, but he also is my little sweetheart. He came home and shared his milkshake with his little sister. Brooke is quite a character; after Braden shared his milkshake she looked at him and said (verbatim), "You are a great kid. I love you so much." Is she 2 or 20? I ask myself that often. After the milkshake Braden proudly showed us all of his bandaids and again told us that he cried, and I again reassured him that it was okay to cry. Then we talked about how Brooke will get shots when she is 4, and she informed us that she planned on having a fit. I sure hope she changes her mind before she turns 4. I can't get over how big my cuties are getting; time flies by a little faster when you are doing all you can to get the clock to stand still.

1 comments:

Karmen said...

I was hoping that as they got older, giving them shots would be easier! You're leaving me with no hope, Carrie.

The Cutie Patooties