My vivacious, creative, and extremely imaginative three year old had great tragedy strike in her life this week.
I became aware of her plight during lunch this past week. We were having a leisurely lunch discussing our day so far and what would be upcoming, when Emma looked at me and broke the horrible news, "All my children except one (then pointed to Colton) and my husband died." "Oh, that's awful; I'm so sorry to hear that! How did they die?", I replied. Emma explained, "They died of diarrhea; they drank too much apple juice." Trying to be sympathetic of the predicament she had suddenly found herself in, I suppressed the laughter that was fighting valiantly to surface, and simply said, "That must be really hard on you." She went on to expound on the situation, "My children miss their mother, but at least they are with their father; I will see them again one day." Seeing she still had my rapt attention (this was good stuff, can't make this stuff up, good stuff), she continued, "Their grandmama gave them the apple juice; everyone drank some except my son (again pointing to Colton) and I. They were all outside drinking their apple juice, and when I came back they were all gone!" This last portion of her story was said with great dramatic effect I must add! I then went on to tell her how proud I was of her strength and perseverance during such a hard and difficult time. Emma simply smiled and then quickly began to tell me about her remaining child (Colton), whom she referred to as sweetie. As I listened to her tell me about the many wonderful attributes of her son, I thought about what an unbelieveable imagination she possesses, and as I replayed her story of strife and loss, I thought
'What a horrible way to go!'













0 comments:
Post a Comment